When the hubby is away...

Thursday, June 11, 2009 Edit This 6 Comments »
The wifey will play..and boy did she ever!

So...I had this great idea to buy some paint for the den. The den was still the startling flat white paint that originally came with the house. We have lived here for over 2 years, and it was time to do something to the room. I picked out Behr's Classic Taupe that would just give the room a bit of character.

The room began as the ultimate playroom with my couch from college (yes college) that belonged to my cousins when they went to college 10 years earlier. Yep, it has been around awhile.

The train set that took up half the den - note the curtains: Aaron couldn't STAND those curtains!
Photobucket

You can see the boys' chairs in the background. You can also see my classy 20+ year old couch...very retro.
Photobucket

As the boys got older, they began to play more and more in their bedrooms. I really wanted the den to be a relaxing room. Somewhere to sit and play on the computer, watch movies and just hang out. I wanted there to be enough sitting for our whole family. I had the whole week to get the house back together which was a good thing because once I get started it is hard for me to stop.

The final cost of the den was under $150. Granted, the couch I originally bought for the den is now in the living room. :)


Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

I brought in the end table, couch, chair and ottoman from the living room. I bought a new computer desk (thank you Office Max for your clearance sale) because the old one broke when I was moving it to paint. The faux wood blinds were something we purchased a few months ago. Love those! The lamp behind the chair is new (thanks again Office Max).

The painting on the wall is very special to Aaron. His grandfather painted it a couple of years ago for Aaron. It is a picture of Aaron's family ranch in west Texas. It goes perfectly with the decor of the room. I added the stars and crosses because the chocolate brown paint in the living room made it difficult to see those wall hangings.

Whew! My back and knees are paying for all this, but I am thrilled with how it turned out. Now, I just need to talk Aaron into getting rid of the armoire so we can get a flat screen tv. I think he may be going on another business trip in a few months...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! The den looks so different from when we last saw it! Good job, Jess!

It's amazing what just a coat of paint can do, let alone some furniture shifting, huh?

Jessica said...

Thanks! It does amaze me what some paint and moving around furniture and accessories can do to a room.

This room always bugged me because it didn't look pieced together right. It was like walking into my old college apartment with pieces of hand-me-downs everywhere. Guess this means that I'm a grown up now!

Rachel said...

It looks awesome!! Just one question, what are you sitting on in the living room? Just curious ... :)

I'm sure Aaron is cool with all of it since you have it finished before he gets home, I'm thinking he should be thrilled. But that's just me.

Jessica said...

I bought a new sofa for the den, but it just didn't fit right. It was too big for the den. So, I moved it into the living room along with my recliner. Viola!

Rachel said...

Excellent! Sounds like it all worked for the best! Can't wait to see the next project.

Anonymous said...

You are a freakin' wonder woman! Michael is out of town and I sat on my rump and watched HBO last night... It looks amazing. -Heather