Another's Eyes

Friday, April 10, 2009 Edit This 2 Comments »
"Near the cross of Jesus stood his mother, his mother's sister, Mary the wife of Clopas, and Mary Magdalene. When Jesus saw his mother there, and the disciple whom he loved standing nearby, he said to his mother, "Dear woman, here is your son," and to the disciple, "Here is your mother." From that time on, this disciple took her into his home." John 19:25-27

When I was 7 years old, I made my personal confession of faith to my pastor during VBS week at our church. I remember sitting in the fellowship hall and listening to this story about a man who gave up His life for me so I could spend an eternity in heaven. I understood that I was a sinner, and I believed that Jesus died on the cross for my sins.

I was baptized a few weeks later with some of my best church friends. There was an excitement about answering the pastor's questions and being dipped into the water. When I came up, I remember looking out on the congregation and seeing so many smiles. The word that really hit me was "family". This was my "family" now.

Even though I was young, I got the basics. I knew the Holy Spirit was with me. However, I was so young in my faith that I didn't get everything. Honestly, I don't think we will ever "get" everything. I think that is what makes the Bible such an amazing book. We can read a story over and over and still pull new stuff from it.

I'll be completely honest with you. I've read about the crucifixion at least 100 times. It wasn't until a few years ago that I read it again right before the Easter season that I saw something different.

I've viewed the crucifixion through another's eyes: Mary, the mother of Jesus. When I read the gospels, I saw a baby being held in a mother's arms. I saw a man leave his mother's home to complete his father's work. I saw the tears of a mother so desperate to save her son. However, she knew, perhaps not grasping everything, her son had to complete this final step at the cross.

Suddenly, the pain is real. I've seen my boys get hurt, and I feel their pain. Mary felt everything He was going through as she looked up at her son on the cross. I understand my willingness to sacrifice anything for my children to keep them from harm. As a mother, I know Mary would have taken the cross herself if that is what God had wanted.

Literally, my heart hurts when I view the scene through her eyes. To grasp an event or a concept in a much deeper way, we have to look through it in others' eyes. It is the only way we can stretch our faith and allow it to grow beyond a newbie Christian faith.

My prayer for this Good Friday is for all to take time to really dig into the gospels (Matthew, Mark, Luke and John in the New Testament) and experience the crucifixion through another's eyes. Perhaps Peter who denied Christ 3 times as predicted? Or Simon of Cyrene who carried the cross of our bloodied and beaten Savior?

If you aren't much of a visual reader, then watch the video below called "The Bridge". I feel it is a beautiful telling of how God may have seen the crucifixion. Perhaps through His eyes you can see how God loved us so much that He gave up His Son so that we could live...

The Bridge

2 comments:

Dad said...

Jess, I love you and I am so so proud of you,
Love Dad

Anonymous said...

I thought it was interesting you mentioned Peter. He's the one through whose eyes I've imagined the crucifixion. I could always identify with Peter's temper, and how hard it is to live as a tempered Christ did.

I understood his zeal but also his fear. And I could imagine him being sick with guilt and shame at denying him and then running away. Then, I could imagine the absolute joy he must've felt at seeing Christ alive, if for no other reason than he could try to make things right be reiterating his love and devotion and seeing that he was, indeed, truly forgiven.