Christmas Countdown

Tuesday, December 15, 2009 Edit This 2 Comments »
It amazes me that we are 10 days away from Christmas. I keep asking myself where did 2009 go?? As usual, the weeks before Christmas prove to be very busy. It seems like every night there is a party or activity to attend. If we aren't going somewhere, then we are busy getting stuff together for Christmas.

Sunday night, Aaron and I wrapped gifts for the family. We actually ran out of wrapping paper. I can't believe it! It isn't that we had many gifts. It is the fact that I haven't bought paper in years because I had so much left over year after year. I had to go buy wrapping paper yesterday AT FULL PRICE. You don't know how this pains me knowing the same wrapping paper will be 50% off in 11 days.

I've also been busy helping with the classroom parties for the boys. I love the fact that this year I can be more a part of the classroom as a homeroom helper. I find it ironic that it took a full time job for me to be able to do more with my boys when they are at school. Granted, my job is right there with them, so I guess it shouldn't be that shocking!

Yesterday, I was reminded of how sweet a spirit Jack has. He had to show his class a tradition that our family has at Christmas. He wanted to read Luke 2:1-14 from the Bible. We read it every Christmas morning. In fact, this tradition has been going on since I was a little girl.

So, he read Luke 2 (and did a fantastic job at pronouncing some of those tough words), and his teacher asked him if he had anymore to add. Below is what he said:

"Jesus was born on a Friday. Actually, he was born on Christmas Eve. He grew up and died on a cross. He died on the cross for my sins. He was THE child of God. He is my Savior. And that's all I have to say."

Can it get any better?

Through the hustle and bustle of the season, I pray that one things be the center point of the festivities. A baby was born many years ago. He was and is the Son of God. He died on a cross so that our sins could be covered in His redeeming blood. For me, the picture that captures this season's meaning is not one of a baby in a manger. It is a picture that show the destiny of that baby in the manger.

2 comments:

Katrina said...

awwww I love that Jack is so spiritual. He is such a sweet boy. You have done right by him and Luke!

I hope things slow down for you and you are able to enjoy the season instead of rushing through it.

Now I have to go out today and START my Christmas shopping!

Anonymous said...

I don't know why it always amazes me that kids can be so simple and yet so deep about their faith.

After all, Christ is the One Who urged us to have faith like a child.

Good for Jack! Glad you're able to enjoy this time with them in their classes. :)