My Tiger Cub Scout

Wednesday, September 09, 2009 Edit This 4 Comments »
Photobucket

Photobucket
Last night, I began a journey that I do not understand. It is a world that has been mainly for boys and their fathers. It is the world of Boy Scouts.

Now, I will say that this world is one that wants the whole family involved at this age. There are several family events including campouts. Yes, family campouts. I'm not sure if I'm excited about that or not. I do like camping out with my family, but I'm definitely not some super campout mom. Perhaps this is where I become that awesome mom that really enjoys camping out all the time. Yeah, I'm thinking not.

However, Jack is SO excited about being a Tiger Cub. He loves his uniform and had to buy the hat. He wanted the special pants and belt, but I had to draw a line...for now. I'm sure we'll be back at the Boy Scout Store to purchase more items.

Jack can't wait to go camping, too. He keeps asking if he can take his sleeping bag to the meetings. I have a feeling all the first graders are asking that question. Luckily, he will get to have his first "official" campout at the beginning of October. In fact, the WHOLE family is invited to come. I've already booked us to go camping the weekend before because I didn't know there was a campout so soon. Hmm...two weekends of camping? I'll have to think that over.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I didn't even know they had names for the Cub Scouts beyond just 'cub scout.' Is Tiger Cub an entry level cub scout and they work their way up to other names like lion or something?

Jack looks quite the young man in his uniform! Chris works with a guy whose son does Cub Scouts, and they seem to really enjoy it [although I believe Mom doesn't do the camping out thing LOL].

I hope he has a good time with it. It's his first step toward Eagle! :)

Katrina said...

He looks mighty handsome!!!

Devin made it through WEBLO's and all the badges it entailed and Robert was even the den leader for him through that. It helps that he is an Eagle Scout!

Enjoy this time... it goes by entirely too fast!

Kim said...

Riley is doing Tiger Scouts too!

I am with you on the camping thing. Most times I just grin and bare it. But I really think that he will enjoy it, which will make the whole sleeping on the ground when I have a perfectly good comfy bed at home not so terrible.

Anonymous said...

Next thing you know, you'll be buying "Mom" jeans and wearing a fanny pack loaded with first aid gear and a small survival kit if we were forced underground because of a nuclear attack. . .I don't think going underground would help us, but I didn't pay too much attention in Earth Science...would I have learned about how to survive a nuclear attack in 7th grade Earth Science??? I digress. Congratulations to my little Tiger Cub and hopefully he will become the Grand Pobah like his father (Sgt. Major Lion Eagle Scout...did I get his title right?!?)